Friday, June 11, 2021

Adventure Log: Talomir Tales Shen Month 1

 

Rules Used

Shen Rep 5 AC 2 Thief Star

Shen is a Rep 5, Pep 5, and Sav 4 thief. Class attribute is clever. His chosen attribute is smooth. His random attribute is clumsy. Just my luck, a clumsy thief! I will rule that finding and disarming traps is a physical challenge but finding secret rooms is more of being keenly aware, so more of a mental challenge. Thankfully, clever lets me roll 3D6 and choose the best result on challenges.

Personal preferences for my games:

I start my adventuring with an involuntary encounter. While not actually in the Talomir Tales Distant Shores rule book, it is from the 5150 Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money.  1-4 something happens and 5-6, nothing.

Regarding magical items, only rep 5 or higher (also a big bad of any rep) can have a magical item. I will roll when the PEF is resolved to see if it is equipped with it. I assume they know what they have.

Read on for his first adventures!

 

Ok, let's get things going. First I roll for an involuntary encounter and get a defend. It's a single Capalan League soldier rep 3, ac 2, with the attribute rage. It's a defend encounter at night, so I go straight to the battle board.

Shen was roasting some mutton over an open fire when he heard something in the bushes. He readied his dagger just as a man walked into the firelight. The man brandished a sword, ready for combat.

I gained the advantage and won the action roll so charged the lone Capalan. I had 2 more rep than he but he had the rage ability, which grants an extra 1d6 in melee. Thankfully, he only passed 1d6 and I 2d6. A 4 was rolled on the damage table and he went out of the fight. I looted his body as well as sent him out of the fight for a total of 2 increasing rep d6. Not a bad start!

Shen wiped his bloodied blade on the deceased man's trousers. Probably just some brigand out for an easy target. Shen may look like a dandy but his eccentric clothing hid the fact that he was a hardened adventurer. He grinned a toothy grin as he broke free the man's, albeit light, coin purse. To his chagrin, it was worthless bits of dried apples and bits of lint.

Ok, onto my voluntary encounter for the month, Carousing. Every great fantasy story begins in a tavern, right? I'm looking to recruit an adventuring companion as well as some employment. Let's see how it goes.

The man in the plumed purple hat entered the bar examining the patrons. Mostly men from Tereken, ruffians and pirates, and they smelled of it too. At the end of the bar, though, sat a proud looking woman. The other patrons gave her a wide birth but Shen approached her. She eyed him suspiciously after draining her mug of ale.

The first PEF resolved as a rep 5 ac 6 Capalan League knight with the attribute coward. Not the bravest but I could use a good meat shield! I interacted with her and passed the same, pretty much ignored me.

Undaunted, I resolved the second PEF, a rep 4 ac 2 Tereken warrior male with the attribute born leader. Born to lead himself, apparently. All right, I will need help. I interacted with him and got the same result, ignored!

Feeling put off, I had a look for job offers. First, we see if there is even a job available and there is. A merchant wants me to guard him while he makes his way to another area. He's a rep 4 ac 2 civilian with the attribute light weight, which makes him even worse at fighting. Geeze! Ah well. I will have to rely on the smooth attribute of Shen to talk his way out.

A quick roll and I passed my chance of robbery with little trouble.

Shen exited the tavern a little disappointed but at least he had a chance to make some extra coin. We shall see what the morrow brings!

End of encounter rep rolls, 1 increasing rep d6 for KO'ing the soldier. I rolled a 3, so Shen's rep remained the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment