Thursday, February 29, 2024

Notequest: Expanding the map with Orryn!

In the last couple of days, I've been expanding my map further and adventuring overland with my Gnome Cook, Orryn.

 


 

Orryn the Gnome Cook...AI generated


Orryn has explored much of the map and hasn't died yet. He has revealed several dungeons, a ziggurat, and a ruined pyramid...The latter two I haven't ventured into yet, as they seem a bit rough and are in the "Deadly Dungeons" expansion. He also discovered a volcano and a portal. I'm pretty sure those are endgame things. Looking at the portals table...well, let's just say it can get a little crazy.

I ended up reversing my decision on splitting the treasure rolls in half. You just don't get enough loot that way and, with the 10 item limit in your pack, that seems to even it out. Still, rolling too many treasures is a bit of a hassle.

That said, I decided to enter the Crypt I had discovered earlier on in my adventures with Orryn. Upon entering, he faced off against a few goblins and even had one explode on him. The biggest danger was a fierce giant spider! At the door, I did set off a trap but nothing happened. This had the side effect of alerting the spider, so he had the first attack. I had to use some careful strategy killing the beast. First I used Frost Ray and then Lightning to finish him off. No loot was garnered from this encounter but, there was a chance for a secret passage.

Looking for some easy loot, Orryn tried finding the secret amongst the stones and rubble. Luck was not in Orryn's favor as he activated a trap that cut his arm clean off! Now injured, he hastened back to town where he decided to retire from adventuring, for now.

Note: Losing an arm isn't the end of Orryn, as I do have the spell of Light, which can act as a torch floating around. It will just eliminate one spell from his list. Maybe he will un-retire some day!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment