Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Song of Blades and Heroes Battle Report: Zombies everywhere!

 

About a week ago, I decided to play a solo game of Song of Blades and Heroes out of the blue. I have been working on cutting out paper miniatures for a few months, trying to decide on a scale and a set of rules. Finally, I made up my mind and brought forth SOBH to the table!

I waited until my son was about to get home from school to play so that he could possibly join me. He never did, so I played it out myself. I did get to try out some of my new terrain from Battle Systems, the graveyard set! I also bought the blacksmith shop and village. Pretty cool stuff!

Anyways, here's a quick battle report, as I like to make blogs about my hobby...It's a little hobby in of itself!

I came up with a simple scenario on the fly. The heroes must destroy the Zombie King breaking the curse on the graveyard. There were 11 zombies and 1 Zombie King. Their opponents were a group of heroes, consisting of a dwarf warrior, 2 human warriors, and 2 elf archers. I had played this same heroic group against some goblins the previous day, so just used the same band from that game (some pics of that game at the end of this post). All minis are either purchased One Monk Miniatures or free forum hoard minis in the downloads section.

A simple warband, not very well suited to take on the undead!


I made extensive use of the graves and fences in the Battle Systems graveyard set. I decided to use my own scratch built (except for the doors) mausoleum.With the grassy battlemat from Mats By Mars, I was ready to start killing zombies!

Deployment. Each zombie spawned at its grave.




The chap at the back with the sarcophagus is the Zombie King.

The zombies were literally first out of the gates!
The zombies were Q5+ C4 but with the zed king being a leader, they were set up for success rolling several successful activations. I didn't know it yet but the heroes undoing would be the bottleneck created by the gate.
The dwarf charged up with his stumpy legs!

...And he's dead.

As you can tell, the dwarf didn't get much support from the archers. At -2 targeting undead, I decided I'd just stick them in melee, as their C3 score was on par with the human warriors. Tally ho!


The sounds of battle can be heard!...As well as lots of zombie moans.

The melee is joined by all four remaining heroes! I had a little trouble keeping track of all the melee bonuses but I think I got them all correct. A lot of power blows from each side until finally...

Gruesome kill!

The zombies scored a gruesome kill on an elf and the feasting began on his brains. The other elf and a human warrior fled, narrowly dodging the free hacks. They soon calmed their nerves and charged back into the fray.

The other elf is slain after the female warrior went down!

Many terrible rolls later saw the human female warrior drop like a rock, followed by her elven counterpart. Not a good day to be a hero, for sure. The remaining warrior decided there was no hope for him with 12:1 odds, so he bolted. Maybe his warrior days are over with and he can settle down on a nice quiet farm.

Momma!

It was a quick and fun game that I posted over on the Song of Blades and Heroes Facebook page.

As a bonus, here's a couple of shots from my heroes versus the goblins I mentioned earlier. This was my first "get the rust off" game I had played earlier. It was a treasure hunt scenario with little terrain. The heroes managed to find the treasure and take it off the board. The goblin wolf riders were pretty effective but, alas, the higher quality (lower?) elf won the day, taking a magic ring home.

The initial set up.

A bloodless affair but fun nonetheless!






No comments:

Post a Comment