Sunday, August 16, 2020

Four Against Darkness Review

 

A review

I now feel I have played enough games of Four Against Darkness to make a fair assessment of what it has to offer. I've played at least 12 or so dungeons. Keep in mind, this is the base game. So if you like, continue on under the break to read more!  

 

First, a brief summary of what Four Against Darkness is. This game was published by Ganesha Games and authored by Andrea Sfiligoi, the maker of one of my favorite skirmish systems, Song of Blades and Heroes. It weighs in at 90 pages in PDF form. It is also available in softcover. I own both, because, why not?

It's purely a dungeon crawler. You start out looking for what all good dungeoneers seek, treasure! Of course, it's not that easy. You can encounter vermin, minions, bosses, and even weird monsters. You get to choose from eight classes; warrior, rogue, cleric, wizard, elf, barbarian, halfling, and dwarf. You go in, plunder the dungeon, and then, hopefully, come out the other end full of treasure. Maybe you'll pick up a quest along the way or clues to a secret. Maybe set off a trap.

You build the dungeon by a simply rolling the entrance room on a d6 and then all further rooms and corridors with d66 (two six-sided dice). Then, every time you generate a room or corridor, you roll on the room contents. It could just be empty, have monsters inside, special features, an event could occur, etc. An empty room might not be empty at all as something might be hidden in there. All the standard dungeon crawling tropes are here.

One thing I really like are the monsters reactions. You can either immediately attack or see what the monsters decide to do. You may forfeit the initial attack to see what the baddies do. For example, you might be able to bribe a group of monsters, get a quest if you're lucky, they might flee, etc. I know my wife will get a kick out of this part if I can ever get her to play. She's always of the mindset "ok, let's negotiate before going into battle." I guess I'm just used to punching first and asking questions if they survive.

You level up every time you beat a boss/weird monster, kill 10 minions (at a -1 penalty), or complete a quest. You roll a dice and, if the roll is higher than the level, congrats, you just leveled. So the maximum level is 5 with the exception of elves who hit max level at 3 and dwarfs and halflings cap out at 4. You can't level the same character twice in a row either, so make a note who leveled up last. On my current campaign, my characters are around level 3, which is the result of going into about four or five dungeons, so your characters don't level too fast. Or maybe mine are just slow!

If it was just the base game, I could see this getting a little stale after a bunch of play throughs with multiple class set ups, etc. But there is an immense collection of both adventures (modules), supplements (add monsters and/or classes), and settings (a romance theme?). You can also increase the level cap to 9 (think!). There are even spinoff games like Four Against Mars, Alone Against Fear, and Four Against the Titans, which I have purchased but wanted to give the original flavor a try first.

A final note, the artwork in the book is very cool too. I've liked Andrea's artwork since I first saw a few pictures in Warrior Heroes: Armies and Adventures. He's a talented guy!

I can't wait to see what happens with the Metalhoods (my adventurer guild). There's even a fan made conversion to take them on D&D modules here!

 What I'm trying to get at here, if you haven't tried it yet, check it out!


4 comments:

  1. Yep, its a bunch of fun! Adding 4 Against the Abyss & a few of the smaller books that increase the variance is essential. These days Four Against Fear and Four Against Mars are my favourites. Also I’ve just got Four Against the Old Ones (Cthulhu!). Thats a lot of fours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, the expansions really...expand on the base game. I've got most of them, at least the ones that add classes and tables into the mix.

      Honestly, I'm waiting on D100 Dungeon before I go on to Four Against Mars. Ever heard of that one? Also thinking, may as well wait until Halloween season to get my horror gaming in with Alone Against Fear!

      Never really explored the HP Lovecraft stuff but was thinking about it as it's pretty horror based? Also, I wish Ganesha Games did like THW and gave you the PDF when you get a hard copy of the game so you can print out tables and stuff!

      As always, thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, D100. It looks great but the author made the controversial decision to lock the PDF so you cant print it out! I personally think thats rubbish as my only other option is to get a british book printed in America and sent back to Britain! Thats miffed a lot of people off, obviously.

    I’m a Cthulhu nut. You dont have to be to enjoy AATOO but it helps I Suppose. Its cosmic horror. Dark chaos gods want to eat the world etc.

    Yep, the print + PDF combo is a great deal. Everyone should do it. No one should have to buy the same product twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hear you on the PDF being locked. Never heard of that! You can always print off the 2nd edition for free from Board Game Geek.

      Starting to think dark gods are trying to eat our world!

      I was thinking about the whole print vs PDF thing. The print copies that Andrea has are more-or-less cheap and the PDF's are around $8.00 to $10.00 Yankee bucks so that puts them pretty much up there with Ed's printed books + PDF if you combined the two. I guess it's not so bad to buy the PDF first and then, if you like it, buy the hard copy. :)

      Delete