Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain

Do you dare enter the dungeon? Hell yeah!
Lately I've been delving into "Gamebooks" when I have chunks of time watching my son, say 10 to 20 minutes at a time. Just something I can put down when he says "come on daddy, play!" I just use a small dry erase board, two six-sided dice, and the book.

So far I've faced off against zombies, orcs, and other devious traps laid down by the Warlock of Firetop Mountain in the first Fighting Fantasy book. It's sort of like a Choose Your Own Adventure book like my cousin had back in the day but instead of just going to a certain passage and finding out what happens, you sometimes have to roll dice to test your luck, use your skills to battle monsters, put your stamina to the test, etc. sort of like a cross between an RPG and a good book.

My wife jokingly says I'm an 80's hoarder, which is not too far off the mark, in all honestly. There's just something about the art from that era that I hold dear to my heart and the fact that I am a child of the 80's! It's no different in these books. Just magnificently detailed art.

Test your luck and sneak past or turn around? Can't I just run him through with my sword? Oh no, that wouldn't be very sporting. Oh, these Englishmen and their morals! I'd plant an American flag right in his chest and attack him with my bald eagle for good measure.

They suggest keeping a detailed map but my skills in cartography a limited at best. I've always been the kind of guy who just keeps going in the wrong direction until I'm dead or find the way out. Not keeping a map does add to the replayability though. So I'm going with that

Well, if that wasn't a random post. Just wanted to update you all on what I've been up to. Hoping to get some wargaming in this weekend. Good day all and stay safe!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I love these as a kid! Did you ever come across the Grail Quest series of books? They were rather fun, had a slightly more in depth system, including some spell casting, but too many read throughs ended up on the dreaded 'page 13' ("you have died horribly")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got any of the Grail Quest books but I've heard of them. I didn't discover the Game Book genre until a few years ago by chance. As a kid I read a couple Choose Your Own Adventure books but those didn't have the same appeal as these do. Lucky you've got the childhood memories! :)

      Delete