Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Adventure Log Drvar: Month 1, Week 3 All Things Zombie Evolution

Rules used

 


Drvar Rep 5 pep 5 Sav 4 Citizen Star (Pistol P-1)

In our last installment, Drvar was nearly turned into a zombie but, thankfully, his wounds weren't caused by a bite. Maybe he skinned his arm up falling down in the ruckus with the zombie. This introductory encounter is the last of a three week series called "Escape!" After this one, I'll be able to choose between survivor and ganger. The encounter will be at night.

Blurb from the book: You look outside from your home. The power’s been out for days, and the Army’s enforcing Martial Law. Zombies are an everyday occurrence, and the gangs are roaming the streets. You’ve made your decision; it’s time to go.

Escape to where, you might ask? Well, first I need to battle my way out before I decide that. Again, this time I roll for the PEF's and here they are in order of encountering them.

PEF 1: Gangers: As I'm still a citizen, I count as -1d6 when interacting with Gangers. There are two of them, both rep 4 and pep 3 armed with BAP's. I'd sure like to get my hands on those BAP's! It says "They want your stuff, surrender your weapons or go to a confrontation." It's a tough decision, but I decide to give up my guns. I'm severely outgunned here!

PEF 2: Army: I encounter one Army personnel. I follow the instructions in the tutorial and go to the interaction table. They are a rep 3 and pep 3 soldier armed with an AR-3 gun. Keep in mind, I always roll up random NPCs for my encounters as I like to mix them up!

Time to interact, I pass 0d6 and they pass 1d6. It states I have to turn over my weapons or go to the confrontation table. I had anticipated this before and have no weapons now. You can only really use this strategy if you know what you're coming up against, I suppose. A little cheeky, but hey, it's the tutorial and I'd surely be killed by a person with an AR-3.

PEF 3: Zombies: Time for the zombie(s)! I encounter two zeds. The fight is on! They have the advantage. I initially pass 1d6 on the action table but use my extraordinary effort (EE) and pass 2d6 but gain one DRD (decreasing rep d6). I have the advantage and charge one of the zombies. I pass 2d6 to his 0d6, first zombie down! Now the other zombie charges me as they don't take the will to fight test. We each pass 1d6 and drop 1 rep each. The next round I pass 1d6 to the zombie's 0d6. A kill but, I will have to take the "Harry are you okay?" test again after this encounter. I loot the bodies and find nothing on the first but a pistol on the second!

Time to take the "Harry are you okay?" test. I roll 1d6 and add my rep for a total of 8. Game over man! Drvar will turn into a zombie. A sad end to this mini campaign! 🧟🧟🧟 Maybe I should have saved the EE, lesson learned, I suppose.

Here is the first bullet point for Extraordinary Effort:  "When the Star rolls one or more d6 on any table it can choose to roll another d6 and add the result." So I could have used it. Good to know! You really have to think about it more than in other games from THW.

I will hopefully play another campaign later on this year as Halloween approaches. I'd like to try an urban fantasy type game with casters (which is included in the book, along with werewolves, vampires, and other types of zombies).

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment