Saturday, April 13, 2019

Sellswords and Spellslingers: First Impressions



Last night for my "Friday Night Fights" I had a game of Sellswords and Spellslingers by Andrea Sfiligoi, the brilliance behind Song of Blades and Heroes. I had played it initially when I picked it up. It was still just called "Sellswords" at that point and there were some confusing explanations of the rules at that time. I tried a couple of games (my wife even played!) but just couldn't get the jest of it.

I finally got around to downloading the updated version and it's way more clear. So much so that I'd say it could be the first game I try with my son when he's old enough (counting the days!). Basically, you roll up to three D20 for activation, anything above eight is a successful action. Anything seven or below means you draw from the Event Deck. This usually means your going to activate monsters but there are other special cards that are actually a good thing.

Of course, your characters have traits that make them special. I like to build my characters in a role-playing fashion, i.e. if I have a thief, they're going to have thief-like traits. Probably why my thief died the second or so turn! I'll definitely have to practice at designing characters but this was just a test game anyway. You can gain experience and buy equipment with silver pieces that you accumulate along the way. You can get assorted useful items like potions and such.

With ten different scenarios, you can go on long campaigns and I'm sure it' easy enough to design your own with little trouble.

So far the game was super fun!

Below are some action shots during the game!



Meet our heroes? Porkbutt, Tank, and Sneaker. Yes, you can play any race you like!

Good Year Blimp view

That troll is gonna get you!

An Orc Brute deployed very close to the baseline...Charge!

Sneaker, getting ready to loot the body (she had the greedy trait, being a thief and all).

Huh! Another ambush!

"Hey...You smell man." NPC's loitering about the battlefield.

Porkbutt fires his crossbow at the Orc Brute.

Ack! Sneaker's already dead. Guess that minion was too much for her.

Tank, apparently lost among the bushes.

Trolls move in random directions unless they are within 8 inches of an enemy! Finally, a use for my Warhammer Fantasy scatter dice.

"Hah, beat you."

"Ewww! Damn smelly orc!" I drew a card and slipped on the orc's carcass!

"Come get some!" The black marks on the base indicate Tank has taken 2 wounds

"I thought you were dead!"

So ends Tank. He was a good lad. He did go down swinging though.

Porkbutt, the only adventurer left, knew what he had to do.

"Come on baby, I need three activations...Oink!"

"Sweeeeeeet!"


Our intrepid hero, Porkbutt, advanced off the table to safety. Just glad to be out of there!


 All but Tank were Okumarts miniatures from various sets. Tank was downloaded here for free at One Monk Miniatures in the 2010 Forum Hoards section if you go to downloads.








No comments:

Post a Comment