Thursday, February 1, 2024

Four Against Darkness: Adventures of The Forgeshields Volume 1

 


Herein lies another start of a guild named "The Forgeshields." It is a record of their adventures using the Four Against Darkness (4AD) rules system and any number of expansions that I feel necessary. So buckle up, and hope for no Medusa!

I started by rolling up some core rule book classes. I chose, for my starting adventure, a rogue (Ingrid), a dwarf (Ferilix), a halfling (Rendigar), and an Elf (Ciafarrel). I wanted to see how well I'd fair without a cleric...It didn't go so well, as you will see!

I used these books, other than the core rule book:

Twisted Dungeons

Twisted Minions

Zealous Zouaves

Monster Deck 1 (I use the house rules here for Monster Decks)

To get started, I rolled up some traits for my four characters, which I've never done. Definitely gives something unique to your characters. The rogue got Boisterous, the dwarf got Foreboding Secret, the halfling got Fear of the Dark, and the elf got Insecure. I got lucky with the halfling, as he is my lantern bearer, which adds +1 defense while holding the lantern.

I rolled on the Twisted Dungeons table before I entered and got "Stalagmites and Stalactites." Which, of course, would prove detrimental to the party right off the bat. Here is a look at the fully drawn map:

The Stinking Forge of the Orcs


Room 1: There were 6 skeleton soldiers. The fight ended quickly but took some wounds on the dwarf and elf, as they both rolled 1's for defense. This meant they took an extra damage due to the dungeon's stalagmites as well as the failed roll! Afterwards, they bandaged. Not a great start.

Room 2: Empty corridor.

Room 3: I rolled up a vermin and drew the much feared (especially for halflings!) Fiendish Ferns! Pretty much the little cousins of the Invisible Gremlins. Thankfully, my elf chose a lightening bolt spell and was forced to cast it destroying all of the ferns immediately. I checked this rule over on the Facebook Four Against Darkness Adventurer's Guild, just to make sure I was correct in my understanding of the text.

Room 4: This time, I rolled a boss encounter. This would test my parties resolve! Drawing the ogre smasher, things didn't look good. I had contemplated rolling for reactions but, as I didn't have any spirits to bribe him with, I decided to attack. My halfling's sling proved deadly, scoring 2 hits with an exploding 6. Unfortunately, everyone else's attacks missed. The ogre attacked and slew the dwarf, who never had a chance, rolling another 1. My rogue also took 2 damage from the initial attack. The halfling, having +1 defense from the lantern and +1 because of his class attribute, stepped up to take the fallen dwarf's spot. Another round of attacks eventually killed the ogre. The elf leveled up (choosing another lightening bolt) and we got 3 gold for our efforts...

Room 3 (again): At this point, I decided to backtrack, having lost a member of my party. Sure enough, the first room contained a wandering boss! An orc warlord, as it were. My halfling launched a stone, again exploding for 2 damage. The rogue and halfling braced themselves for the oncoming attack. The rogue was flayed to death by the attacks. The mightly halfling held strong with two successful defense rolls after 2 luck rolls (on different attacks). The fight ended as the the elf struck him with a lightening bolt, sending the orc running. At the end of the fight, the brave (or lucky?) halfling leveled up to 2. No loot from wandering monsters.

Thankfully, the remaining party members made it out of the short dungeon with no more ambushes. All we had to show for two lost comrades was 3 gold and 2 exp rolls. A rough start for the Forgeshields, indeed!




No comments:

Post a Comment