Tuesday, December 6, 2022

5150 New Beggings - Break Ins and Grocery Runs

 

 
Sven

 Month 3:

Last month saw Sven rising in People skill to 6, the maximum you need. Why’d I choose it? Well, I think the interaction skill is paramount in the THW “interaction era” as I’m going to call it. Especially for this version of 5150NB as you’re constantly running into people and talking to them. You can rack up the IRD in this way. This is always handy when you have an encounter go south quickly or you lose rep when the dice gods frown upon you (read on, dear reader if you want to see them in action).

 

Pay the Man: First, it’s time to pay my monthly upkeep. Since I still have no ship or crew, I gain 0 DRD. Maybe this month I’ll recruit someone!

Involuntary Encounter:  It’s time for the dreaded involuntary encounter. I roll a 1, which is burglarized. Someone hit my house! I look up the burglarized rules and it says if you’re on New Hope, you’re home on a 1. I rolled a 2, so now I go to the burglarized table as I was not home. I roll against the law level of two (LowerHope’s law level), so I only pass on a 1 or 2. I pass 0 and dang, they ripped off my stuff! Gain DRD equal to your rep, which is 5. I guess it pays not to live in a free home.

After a long day, Sven returned to his apartment. Opening the door, he was greeted by a mess of torn up bedding and papers strewn everywhere. All his good stuff was gone. Sven dropped his duffle bag and muttered “well, shit” in a calm voice. He was used to this kind of thing but, it was pretty irritating nonetheless.

Voluntary Encounter: I decide to go on a chillin’ encounter. Seems like a good place to earn IRD and, possibly, recruit someone to my band. Let’s go! I’m going to stay in Lower Hope, as I don’t feel like traveling today (i.e. I have limited time for a blog entry!).

I draw from the 5150 City Deck and it’s a grocery store…I guess that’s as good as any to recruit some riffraff. Everybody needs basic supplies, after all. So, the day part will be during the day. I get the maximum PEFs at 4.

Outside Building PEF: Outside the building I encounter a single rep 5 gangster armed with a pistol-1 who has the charismatic trait. I approach and interact. I pass 1d6 to his 2d6, I gain a DRD and go to a confrontation! I roll against the law level of 2 for Lower Hope and pass 3, guns are drawn!

As Sven arrives at the grocery store, he notices a main smoking in the parking lot. A slight grin flashes and the man walks towards him. “Hey, Joe. Got any creds?”

Sven pats his pockets, “Sorry buddy, all out.

“That’s okay, I’ll just take that data pad and your clothes!” The gangster immediately raises his pistol at Sven.

Round 1: To the action table we go! I roll a 6, I do not have the advantage. Next, we see who goes first, I pass 1 and the gangster passes 2. Can’t catch a break this encounter! So he fires first, I go to the shooting table and roll 2d6 and he passes 2d6, it’s a hit! Now I look at the shooting damage table and roll 1d6, 6! Target is obviously dead. Poor Sven, he’s already dead…or is he. I utilize my star power dice I roll one at a time. I get a 1, which reduces the OD to an OOF result. I roll again, 6 and 3. The 6 is saved but the 3 reduces my result to a duck back. Since I rolled 1, 3, and 6, I retain the 6 but lose 2 star power until the end of the encounter as the other dice reduced damage. I have 3 star power remaining. This is my first time using this new star power mechanic.

Now, as I understand it, Sven takes the Will to Fight Test or can use his star advantage “Free Will” to leave the battle board. I take the Will to Fight Test and pass 2d6, I remain on the field but the criminal runs for it as he only passes 1d6. Guess he doesn’t have the guts for it.

The gangster draws his weapon and fires from just a few yards away. Sven does his best to get out of the way, the bullet just narrowly misses. The punk runs for it as Sven dives behind a parked car. Sven pokes his head up tentatively, gun drawn. After seeing the guy run away, he looks himself over. There was bullet hole in his leather jacket that he sticks his finger through. “I’ve had worse” he grumbles as he grabs a shopping cart and enters the grocery store.

Chilln’ PEF 1: The first PEF to be resolved turns out to be a criminal element and their profession is another gangster. Maybe the buddy of the first guy? Anyhow, he’s the 3rd one down on the list. You roll 1/2d6 and that determine who the leader is. It’s a basic female with the Free Spirit trait, so has an extra d6 when interacting. She’ll need it with a pep of 3. We interact and pass the same, she ignores me.

As Sven made his way down the aisles, he encountered a tall woman with a large pink mohawk. He tensed a little, the other punk could have been a lookout but the shot heard didn’t seem to bother her.

Chillin’ PEF 2: Looks like our next encounter is another criminal element. This time it’s a dealer. This place indeed lives up to the shady part of town that is Lower Hope! He has the Smooth trait and may re-roll one failed 1d6 while interacting. I pass 2d6 and he passes 2d6 as well, giving me an ignore result. I could roll my EE (Extraordinary Effort) but I think I’ll hold off.

Taking some toilet paper off the shelf, “20% off, not bad” Sven noticed a twitchy looking fellow with missing teeth walking the aisle.

“How’s it going, boss? Need anything?” the man said.

Sven just shook his head, he didn’t like the druggy types much.

Chillin’ PEF 3: I need some IRD as I’m already at 7 DRD! Well, wouldn’t you know. It’s a criminal element thief with the Free Spirit attribute. Dang, Sven is destined to drop a rep! I pass 1d6 to the thief’s 3d6. This leads to another DRD and a confrontation! It’s another shootout. To the action table! Sven has the advantage and they both pass 2d6, so Sven gets to shoot first!

Sven has the “Crack Shot” attribute so rolls 3d6, counting the two best results. I pass 2d6 on the shooting table and go to the damage table. It’s a 4 but he’s not wearing armor so it’s a 6, OD (obviously dead)! As it was all over by the first turn, the police aren’t called, as far as I understand. Might have to consult the Face Book group on that one. Anyhow, I’ll get back on that one. Either way, we have a dead thief in the grocery store! Addendum: Ed answered that I was correct in my assumption.

While searching the dairy section for some seasonal eggnog, Sven feels a tug at his data pad. He quickly whirls around and, sure enough, it’s a pickpocket caught in the act. The thief tries to draw his piece but he’s too slow. Sven draws first and puts a whole through his chest, dropping the man immediately. He holsters his pistol and remembers that he has a coupon for the eggnog.

Chillin' PEF 4: Maybe I need a new dice rolling app but it’s another criminal element! I guess that’s the way dice roll sometimes. Anyhow, there are 2 gangsters. The rep 4 leader is unarmed but the other has an automatic rifle. This could get dicey. The leader has the Clumsy trait. The leader and I pass 2d6 but I decide, I need that sweet IRD so use my EE! I now pass 3d6 and get an IRD. I won’t push my luck so don’t try and further interact with them.

As Sven makes his way up to the cashier, he hears “Clean up in the dairy section, please” over the PA. People look at him and he shrugs with a look of it wasn’t me. A man and a woman approach Sven and eye him up and down. The woman picks up Sven’s eggnog with a grimace “classic? That gives me the runs.” She puts it back in Sven’s cart and moves on. Sven shakes his head quickly and thinks “what the hell was that about?”

Outside Building PEF 2: It’s been criminals all day long, so why not a fifth straight criminal! A single rep 5 thief who is unarmed and has the Quick Reflexes attribute. I interact and get an ignore result.

Making his way out of the store, Sven passes a shady looking man but he doesn’t even look at Sven. Just to make sure, he touches his data pad, still there.

Well, after two good encounters, this one was headed south from the start! I accrued 8 DRD and just 2 IRD. So we take 6 off my Lifetime Rep and I drop to just 8. Guess that’s the mean streets of New Hope! Now, the worst part is, I have to roll 6d6 and hope I don’t score a 1, else I drop a rep point. Sure enough, the dice gods point their thumbs down and I drop to rep 4!

Sven: Rep 4

IRD: 2

DRD: 8

So ends another episode! Thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment