Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Future Shock! Thrashers in the Desert

 

I came across Future Shock while perusing Wargames Vault. At $0.99, I figured, why not? Looks like it might be good time for a buck. If you're interested, read more after the break!

 

What has it gots in it's pages?

Future Shock takes place in a post apocalyptic setting. It is a minimalist skirmish game in PDF format (either full page or pocket booklet). It is an 8 page PDF but there are actually only 5 pages of rules in large print. You build a team of "thrashers" with a simple point system choosing weapons, skill levels, and armor, if any. You may also increase a thrasher's hit points at a cost. You make opposed rolls on a 1D10, adding weapons+skill level for the attacker and armor+cover+skill level for whoever is being attacked. If the attacker is higher than the defender, then it's a wound. If not, it's a miss/absorbed by the armor or cover. Each activated figure gets 2 actions. Measurements are in inches and the battlefield is played on just a 1' x 1' area...so the action starts right away! After 8 rounds of combat, the game ends (unless a team is eliminated first).

You can even reskin it for any genre, like fantasy, sci fi, etc. Future Shock issue #5 (Acid Shock) is actually a fantasy conversion with magic, swords, bows, etc.

That's pretty much it!

How does it play?

Initial deployment

All you need to play is a measuring stick, D10's, miniatures, a little terrain, and the rule book, of course. I divided the enemies (blue guys) deployment into three 4" sections then rolled the dice for each model. They all deployed on the bottom half. I alternated deploying the enemy and my guys. They were simple mirrored gangs of a boss and two street punks, just to get the hang of it. They were fully kitted out with weapons and armor, which came to 21 pts each gang. I needed an objective, which is the gold cube in the middle. I decided it would take one action to lift it (maybe I should have went with 2!).

Here's a little picture AAR on how it played out in the desert:

Blue boss takes up cover and fires at Red boss but misses...

Blue nabs the crate, Red boss gets pissed!

Red street punk follows orders and manages a hit!

Blue injures a Red and then...a solar eclipse happens! Red boss gets on top of the van and shoots but misses!

Blue street punk kills a Red one! Or was it the boss? I can't remember!

Red street punk kills the Blue punk (he was blocking LOS for the crate guy)!

Blue boss takes aim at Red boss and takes him out with two rounds!


 

And Blue claims the crate! Game over.

First impressions

I actually had a lot of fun my first game. I thought the red boss would be able to take out the runner, but no. The 1' x 1' playing surface makes for quick pick up and play games. If I wasn't taking pics and scanning the rules (which I didn't have to refer to much), I'd say it weighed in at under 20 minutes. I'm sure you could go with a larger table, say 2' x 2', once you add vehicles...But that's in issue #2!

The only downside is, there are no official solo rules. It is encouraged to hack the game, if you choose, so I may come up with my own solitaire rules. Maybe blind activation for the opposition. We will see!





No comments:

Post a Comment