Saturday, January 30, 2021

An Exercise in Flames

 I tried out a painting technique that I've never tried before, flame effects. It's sort of a backwards layering technique. White base coat, yellow, orange, red, and then black at the tips of the flames. My wife didn't really get the black effect at the ends but I think it's because we're used to seeing flames on torches and such in the dark and we don't appreciate the swirling tendrils of smoke coming from the flame.

Regardless, I was pretty happy with the results, being the first time I attempted it and all. Color me proud!





2 comments:

  1. Looks good, I think that it needs that slight black on the end to look convincing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Yeah, if you examine a real fire, you can see it at the ends of the flames. Thanks, as always, for commenting!

      Delete