Sunday, May 28, 2017

Facing the unknown: Brain tumor removal

 This post is just sort of a therapeutic venting so doesn't really have much to do with miniatures. More of a life update.

 On May 12, 2017, I suffered a seizure suddenly and was taken to the hospital via ambulance. In the ER they found a "haziness" on my brain and did an MRI scan where they found a mass in my left frontal lobe of the brain. Long story short, I have a brain tumor the size of an avocado pit! On June 1st, 2017, I will be undergoing surgery to remove the tumor, which could affect my right hand function, speech forming, and/or facial movements. Being a righty, this means I could face temporary or even permanent deficits on my right side. The doctor is confident and reassured me I will be all right. Still, it is brain surgery so I'm not exactly excited! Did I mention I'll be awake for the procedure? This will give me the best chance of having no deficits as they can map my brain function.

 It just so happens my favorite hobby, miniature painting, requires a steady hand! I can look at it this way, I may never be able to paint with my right hand again or I can look at it as something to work towards in the future...If all else fails, I guess there's always my left hand! I already told my wife if I lose permanent use of my left hand just cut it off and replace it with a platform that I can hook miniatures to and paint them with my left hand. I guess having good humor in this situation is a good thing!

 of course, most importantly, I want to have good health and a long life with my family and friends. I'm a fighter and will not give up even if I do lose function. I'll face a long recovery but hopefully I'll be able to do some updates soon! Thanks for reading and take care all!

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment